Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze

Yes... This cake is exactly as amazing as that title makes it sound!  No question.
We had some friends over for dinner last night, and we usually have a system that one couple cooks the dinner and the other couple brings dessert.  But yesterday, I was really hoping and banking on the fact that our friends wouldn't have had time to make a dessert because I was majorly itching to try out my new bundt pan.
So, with all of that in mind, I hopped on Pinterest yesterday afternoon to find the perfect first recipe for my pan.  Oh and find it I did!  Thank you to Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe for posting this fabulous recipe on your blog!
This cake is amazing!!!  As you may know, cinnamon is by far, my favorite thing ever!  I looooove baking with it.  And pretty much, when it comes to cinnamon, I never follow the recipe.  If it says 2 tablespoons, there is no leveling it off here.  No, no, I add those heaping spoonfuls without hesitation! 
The brown sugar and cinnamon swirl in this cake give it an amazing sweetness that is perfectly balanced by the yellow cake and vanilla glaze.  Everything about it is delicious.  The texture is incredibly gooey and moist.
And the photos you're seeing may or may not be from the slice I had for breakfast this morning.  Yep, I was one of those people this morning.  And oh my goodness, I am so glad I was.  Because, last night when we ate the cake at room temperature, it was fabulous.  But...
...This morning, when I had it warmed up with some melted butter on top, it was positively heavenly!  You know, it's basically a coffee cake anyway.  I could have easily polished off another quarter of the cake hot with butter on top.  It was divine!  My mouth is watering for another piece right now just looking at the pictures and thinking about it.
Even if you're not eating it for breakfast, I highly recommend smearing on some butter and popping it in the microwave for half a minute.  Your taste buds will love you for it!
So without further ado, here is this absolutely amazing recipe.  I only made a few small changes from the recipe I found, but you can check out the original at Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe's blog.

Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze
Adapted from: Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe
Serves: 10-12

Cake:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix, dry (15-16 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup yogurt (The original recipe suggested greek, I went with regular fat-free vanilla.)
Brown sugar and cinnamon swirl:
  • 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Vanilla Glaze:
 Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray your bundt pan with cooking spray; then coat it with a very thin layer of flour.  (You may be able to omit these steps if you have a non-stick bundt pan.) 
  2. In a small bowl, mix together your brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. 
  3. In the large bowl mix the dry cake mix, oil, eggs, and yogurt with a whisk until everything is incorporated and there are minimal lumps.
  4. Pour half of your batter into the bundt pan and then scoop half of your brown sugar mix over the top. With a knife, swirl the two together. Top with the remaining half of your cake batter and the other half of your brown sugar mix. Again, swirl together with a knife or skewer. You will have to swirl it quite a bit to get everything mixed together well.  Gently tap pan on the counter to settle and even out top.
  5. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Let cool it in the pan for about 10 minutes before inverting it onto a cake platter or plate. Let it cool before drizzling the glaze over top.
  7. To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk until it is completely lump free. Spoon or pipe over the cake.

Serve!  Remember, you can serve this cake at room temperature, or warm it up a bit in the microwave.  Try out some butter on top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

The original recipe stated that the cake would keep for one day at room temperature or two days in the fridge.  I put mine in the fridge last night, but I'll try to give you an update on how long it lasts, if I don't eat it all today!

No comments:

Post a Comment