Monday, November 4, 2013

Apple Raisin Oatmeal

Generally speaking, I don't love oatmeal.  The texture grosses me out.  It's so blech.  But, the only oatmeal I've tried in years is the instant stuff.  Obviously not the best quality in the world.  But I love love oats.  Granola is a huge fave of mine.  And I love crisps and things that have baked oats as a topping.  So, like I said, it's the consistency of the oatmeal that I don't like, nothing to do with the taste.

With that in mind, I was absolutely dying to try a crock-pot oatmeal recipe that I've seen on Pinterest a few times.  I finally got around to throwing everything in the crock-pot late Saturday night for breakfast on Sunday.  And I actually liked it!  The consistency was less yucky and the big chunks of apples and the juicy raisins helped.
Though this would never be my favorite breakfast option.  I would always choose a huge, hot, fluffy baked good hot out of the oven.  But this oatmeal is a great change up.
Apple Raisin Oatmeal
Adapted from: Pinterest  (I'm not sure what the original source is.)
Serves:  about 6

Ingredients:
2 sliced apples (I used small-medium Gala, and I cut very thin slices and then cut the slices in half.)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 cups oats (I used old-fashioned oats)
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins (I eye-balled it.)

Directions:
  1. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker in the order listed.  Do not stir.
  2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
  3. Stir in raisins and allow them to warm for a few minutes.
  4. Serve.
If you're not a huge fan of oatmeal consistency, I'd recommend this recipe. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment