Thursday, June 27, 2013

Easy Breakfast Casserole

I have not made it much of a secret that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  Unless you count dessert of course, though I think sometimes breakfast would still win.  Anyway, since I love breakfast so much, I am totally a fan of breakfast for lunch or dinner.  Or both...

And this breakfast casserole is my go-to when I'm fixing breakfast at any time of day and I want some eggs and meat.  This casserole is so easy to throw together for any meal of the day.

I don't know the full origin of this dish.  My mom found it in her church cookbook years ago and has been making it ever since.  I'm not sure who it came from or where that person got it either.  But, one thing I know for sure, I can't take credit!

Breakfast Casserole
Makes a 9x13 dish (I half-ed it and used a 9" pie pan.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground sausage, cooked
  • 6 slices of toast, crumbled
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (or another kind)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Brown the sausage in a skillet.
  3. Meanwhile, toast your bread.
  4. In a large bowl, slightly scramble the eggs.  
  5. Crumble the toast and add it to the bowl.
  6. Add all other ingredients, including the browned sausage, and mix well.
  7. Pour into a 9x13 pan and spread evenly.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.
  9. Enjoy!
As you can see, even though there is bread in the casserole, I still like to serve it with some type of bread: bagel, biscuits, muffins, etc.  Also, the leftovers are great to make wraps with.  Thomas and I love to heat some up and wrap it in a tortilla for a fast and delicious meal!

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment