Friday, February 7, 2014

January Movies

Well, Thomas and I ended up seeing two of the January movies I mentioned I wanted to see in this previous post.  So here are the reviews:

Lone Survivor - This movie was so incredibly INTENSE!  I don't think I relaxed for even one moment of the last hour and a half of the film.  Now, if you are sensitive to language, I would not recommend this movie.  The amount of bad language that was used was, in my opinion, incredibly unnecessary.  But I realize that a lot of people use those words everyday, I just don't agree with it.  Aside from that, I thought the movie was amazing.  It's hard to say it was good, because I know it was based on a true story where many men lost their lives.  The truest thing I can say about it was that it was extremely intense and also very respectful.  The end of the film was very sobering and respectful to those who lost their lives in the events depicted.  One last disclaimer: it was almost physically painful to watch all the things those men went through knowing it really happened.  Whew!  Like I said, I didn't relax at all during the entire last 3/4 of the movie.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - LOVED it!  Just as I suspected, I definitely loved Chris Pine as Jack Ryan.  Though I really don't love Keira Knightley without an English accent.  I love her, but when she uses her real accent.  It is, I'm a bit sorry to say, a reboot.  That's to say that the storyline clashes with that of The Sum of All Fears, the most recent Jack Ryan movie that starred Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman.  But, the movie was highly entertaining, and just the right blend of action, drama, character building, and comedy.  I would definitely recommend this one to anyone who likes action flicks.

Our next movie date is set for next Friday, Valentine's Day.  And we actually have a kind of weird tradition on Valentine's Day that I absolutely love.  We always go see an action movie.  I know, right?!  Valentine's Day is the one day of the year that you are practically required to watch a sappy chick flick.  But, that's exactly why we don't.  The theaters are packed for the girly movies that come out especially for Valentine's Day.  So we always go see a guy movie instead.  And if I'm being really honest, it makes me feel a little good about myself to be the kind of wife who will do that with her husband on Valentine's Day.  And if I'm being even more honest, Thomas is so great about watching romantic movies and taking me to see the ones I really want to see in theaters, that I don't have to use Valentine's Day as a guilt trip on him.  (But don't ever tell him that I shared that on the blog... he might not be too happy with me for admitting to the world that he watches chick flicks and sometimes enjoys them.)

So anyway, long story short, our Valentine's Day movie is The Monuments Men.  It's not a super "guy" movie like we've seen in past years , we both can't wait to see it!

So there is your movie update!  The hubs just got home, so I've got to go put dinner on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment