Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

Hey hey!!!  A new recipe!  It's been so long!

Anyways, this here is my mom's chicken pot pie recipe.  It's super easy to make and only has to bake for about 10 minutes!  

The photos you see are just a little different than the recipe.  I decided to make a smaller version because we really just don't need that many leftovers.  Usually, my mom just puts the crust on top of the dish, but for this one, I decided to line the pie pan with crust and a little bit on top too.   However, I really didn't love the crust to filling ratio.  Overall, I prefer just having the crust on top, but you can always change it up to make it your own.

I also made this one with turkey left over from Thanksgiving instead of chicken!  It's just so versatile!  Lol.
Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from: My Momma

Ingredients:
+/- 10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables (I use a package that has carrots, corn, green beans, and peas in it.)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I usually omit this.)
1/4 cup margarine
1/3 cup flour
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups water
3/4 cup milk
1 Pie crust  *recipe below

Directions:
  1. Cook the vegetables in salted water.  Drain and set aside.
  2. While vegetables are cooking, melt margarine in a large sauce pan.
  3. Cook onion in the butter.
  4. Add flour, salt, sage, and pepper into sauce pan and stir to combine.
  5. Pour in the milk, water, bouillon cubes, and stir until thick.
  6. Add drained vegetables and chicken; stir to combine.
  7. Pour into a 7x11 or 9x9 casserole dish.
  8. Cover with pie crust, and cut off the edges.
  9. Bake at 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until crust starts to look dry and browns just slightly.
Pie Crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup hard Crisco
3-4 tablespoons water
  1. Stir together flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
  2. Cut in Crisco until crumbly.
  3. Add water.  Start with 3 tablespoons and then add more as needed until the dough comes together.
  4. Roll out the dough on a slightly floured surface.
I hope you enjoy!  This is a regular at my house, and the leftovers are delicious too!

No comments:

Post a Comment